Interesting Facts About Cockroaches for Homeowners
Did you know that a cockroach can hold its breath for 40 minutes and can even survive being submerged underwater for a good 30 minutes? These are just two interesting facts about cockroaches that homeowners should know. Why should you know this information, you ask? Because your Glen Burnie roach control efforts may depend on the knowledge you possess regarding these nasty little household pests.
Cockroaches are one of the most adaptable creatures, which makes Glen Burnie roach control that much harder to nail down. So, here are a few facts to keep in mind as you battle your own pests.
1. Cockroaches are cold-blooded, so they are capable of living up to an entire month without food. However, they can only survive for one week without water.
2. There are over 4,000 different species of cockroaches around the world. The German cockroach is one of the more common species alongside the American cockroach.
3. Cockroaches can run up to three miles an hour, which makes it that much faster for them to spread germs and bacteria.
4. Baby cockroaches can run almost as fast as their parents, even at one day old.
5. A cockroach can live for up to one week without its head. They do not need their mouth to breathe because they have an open circulatory system.
6. A cockroach can withstand up to 10 times more radiation than humans can. However, it isn’t true that they could also survive a nuclear event. It still shows just how hard it can be to exterminate them, though.
7. Once cockroaches make their way into your home, they can make allergy and asthma symptoms worse while spreading germs and bacteria.
8. Cockroaches will pretty much eat anything at all. From fruit and glue to even other cockroaches! Gross, we know. When food sources get low, they turn cannibalistic. It provides them with a source of food and is often also used to help control their population size.
9. The average lifespan of an American cockroach is about one year.
10. Finally, they can also squeeze through even the smallest gaps and cracks because of their exoskeletons. They are extremely flexible and can flatten themselves and splay their legs to get into tight spaces.
As you can see, if you fear a cockroach infestation in your home, it is important to get it taken care of very quickly. To do this, Glen Burnie roach control is imperative.