Five Garden Plants That Help Repel Pests
Landscaping can have a big impact on your pest control problem. Clearing brush and tall grass can prevent ticks, mosquitoes, and mice. Clearing plant debris from near your home can reduce your chance of termites. Removing standing water can get rid of the breeding grounds for mosquitoes. Maintaining your yard is a great way to help prevent pests. You can take your landscaping even further though, by planting garden plants that help repel pests. Here is a list of plants to consider for your Springtime garden:
1. Marigolds: Marigolds are very attractive and easy to grow in the ground and in containers. Marigolds are really fragrant and their scent is a deterrent to some pretty undesirable pests. Marigolds have been known to repel insects including mosquitoes and flies, as well as rabbits.
2. Petunias: Petunias are another easy to grow beautiful flower. Like marigolds, petunias repel all kinds of pests. Petunias have been known to repel beetles, roaches, and even silverfish. Petunias grow great in Maryland and come in an attractive array of colors to match any garden design.
3. Lavender: Lavender is a wonderful plant to grow in Maryland. It does really well in the climate and has tons of uses. It’s a great addition to your spice cabinet, it have aromatherapy properties, and it smells great when added to your bath. We love the smell of lavender, but pests do not. Lavender has been known to repel mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, flies, and other bugs.
4. Rosemary: Rosemary is another fragrant herb that pests hate. Rosemary is really effective at repelling mosquitoes and flies. Rosemary is an annual in Maryland and can be planted around the garden and in containers. When dried, it can also be burned to repel mosquitoes.
5. Citronella: Citronella, like in the candles and sprays, is actually a type of plant. Citronella has a strong lemon-y smell that bugs hate. Citronella plants can help repel disease carrying pests like mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks.
Smart landscaping choices like these plants can help repel pests. However, they are not a full pest control solution. The only way to truly get rid of pests both indoors and out is with professional extermination At Bug Out Termite & Pest Control, our professional exterminators will help put together a comprehensive pest control solution for you needs. Call us today at 410-760-6065 to learn more!