410-760-6065
205 Thelma Avenue
Glen Burnie, MD 21061-3913

WRITE A REVIEW

Be Careful When Working With Poison Traps

For homeowners, finding out that you have mice or rats in the home and then deciding to take care of the problem yourself can bring up some squeamish issues. Traditional, mechanical traps, for example, effectively kill rodents by impacting the head or neck area at lethal speeds. As you might imagine, it’s impossible to avoid very visible signs of physical damage when such forces are involved, but the sight of a dead mouse or rat in this condition may be something that people are unwilling to look at.

Some homeowners, preferring a less “gory” means of dealing with mice or rats may choose to go with the relatively bloodless solution of poison. Rat poison, after all, has been in use in cities for centuries, so it’s obviously a tried and true method of rodent extermination.

However, before you decide to make this choice for your home’s rodent problem, be aware that it comes with some risks.

It’s Not Selective

One big concern with poison is the fact that it doesn’t discriminate. This means that if you have any very young children in the home, or even pets like dogs or cats, it’s absolutely critical to keep these away from the trap. The poison may not be enough to kill something significantly larger than rats or mice, but it can still cause sickness. As long as you take care to make sure that anything other than intended targets can’t get at the poison, it should be safe.

It’s Not Quick Pest Control

The other issue is that poison is not instant. This means that a rat or mouse may retreat to the safety of the nest in your home and then die. If more rodents do this, you could have many dead rodents in your walls or other parts of your home that you’re now stuck with, unless you start tearing open walls.

Just remember, poison can be quite effective, but it does have drawbacks.

Feel free to contact us: 410-760-6065 info@bugoutinc.com