Baltimore Ranked #1 City For Bed Bugs
According to Bloomberg Magazine, Baltimore has been listed as the number one city in the United States for bed bugs with Washington DC ranking a close second. They are very challenging to get rid of without the help of professional exterminators. As a result of local residents not working with exterminators, the infestation problem has reached shocking heights costing the city millions. If you are a resident of Baltimore, it is critical you understand how to prevent and treat bed bugs.
How To Prevent Getting Bed Bugs
There are some simple ways you can work to prevent having them enter your home or business including:
● Inspect second-hand furniture for any signs of bed bugs before bringing the piece into your home
● Be careful when using shared laundry facilities and always take your clothes directly from the dryer into a sealed bag
● If you travel, inspect your hotel for any signs of bed bugs and never store your luggage on the floor
● Reduce clutter around your home so bed bugs have nowhere to hide
● Install door sweeps on your external doors and seal any cracks and crevices on both the inside and outside of your house
● Vacuum frequently
● Use mattress covers
Also, if you know of any friends, family, or neighbors with bed bugs, stay away from their homes until they are fully treated.
How To Identify Bed Bugs In Your Home Or Business
There are many ways you can identify whether or not you have a bed bug infestation in your home. Be on the lookout for:
● Rusty or reddish stains on bed sheets or mattresses
● Dark pin-sized black spots on fabrics
● Finding eggs, eggshells, and live bed bugs
● Bed bug bites on you or your family’s bodies
Make sure you also understand where bed bugs typically hide so you can inspect those areas routinely. Bed bugs are most often found in:
● The seams of chairs, cushions, and other soft furniture
● Drawer joints
● Electrical receptacles and appliances
● Along the corners of the walls and ceiling
● Under wallpaper and wall hangings
Regularly checking your house for these signs can help you make sure that if you ever have a problem with bed bugs, you catch it early when it is easiest to treat.
What To Do If You Find Bed Bugs
If you find bed bugs in your home, do not delay. Call an exterminator immediately. There is a lot of misinformation about how to treat bed bugs on the internet. People will advise everything from using essential oils to diatomaceous earth. However, these treatments are not effective. The only way to get rid of bed bugs for good is to work with professional exterminators such as the certified experts at BUGOUT Termite & Pest Control, Inc. If you find any signs of bed bugs in your Maryland home, give us a call for a free quote.