Baiting Systems Or Liquid Barrier Treatments – Which Is Best For Controlling Termites?
There is an ongoing debate among homeowners and the pest control industry regarding the use of bait systems or liquid treatments where controlling termites is concerned. The most common products used in pest and termite control are Sentricon® pest colony elimination systems and liquid treatments containing Termidor®. Of particular concern in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, and Howard Counties is the Eastern Subterranean termite.
This destructive pest is commonly found from southern Ontario, Canada down to the state of Texas and in all of the eastern states from coastal areas inland. Swarming typically occurs during springtime although smaller swarms may exist into early summer. Areas that experience ground temperatures of 70º or higher and warm rain showers are the most conducive to termite swarms.
Comparing The Two Treatment Methods
As was mentioned above, there are two common methods used in the control of termites which include:
- baiting systems such as the Sentricon® Termite Colony Elimination system
- liquid barrier treatments such as Termidor®
Although each of these are highly effective at eradicating termite colonies, choosing one over the other is usually determined by the individual homeowner’s unique situation. Here are the key features of each method to be aware of:
Sentricon® Termite Colony Elimination systems:
- Bait stations can only be accessed outdoors as they are placed in the ground and out of the way
- Ingredients do not become active until termites are exposed to them
- Interior bait stations are installed onto baseboards, joists, and other wood surfaces
- Monitoring systems are effective at detecting termites on a 24/7/365 basis once they are in place
- These systems cause very little if any disruption to the household
Once termite activity has been detected by our technicians, we will install bait stations as needed, all of which monitor termite activity in the process of eliminating them. The termite consumes the bait station’s material and unwittingly takes it back to the colony as a carrier. Sentricon® Termite Colony Elimination systems are an excellent preventative measure.
Termidor® liquid treatments:
- Ideal for commercial and industrial structures surrounded by asphalt or concrete
- More cost-effective than bait stations
- Requires fewer inspections than bait station systems
This is typically the best treatment to consider when termite colonies are already present within a commercial or residential structure. Barrier treatments normally involve drilling and injecting liquid termiticides deep into the ground so as to form an impenetrable barrier around your home.
Making The Choice
The knowledgeable professionals and technicians at BUGOUT Termite and Pest Control, Inc. will be more than happy to discuss Sentricon® Termite Colony Elimination systems and Termidor® liquid barrier treatments with you. By learning as much as you can about these two methods, it will enable you to make a well-informed decision when it comes to choosing one treatment method over the other. If you live in Annapolis, Arnold, Baltimore, Bowie, Catonsville, Columbia, Glen Burnie, Pasadena, or Severna Park as well as other areas of Anne Arundel, Baltimore, and Howard Counties, call us today to schedule an appointment.